Monday, November 3, 2008

American Diabetes Month

November is American Diabetes Month, a time to bring even greater awareness and attention to the seriousness of diabetes, its complications, and the importance of proper diabetes control. The American Diabetes Association leverages opportunities both nationally and locally to raise awareness about diabetes and its serious complications such as heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, blindness and amputations.

Nationwide almost 23.6 million people have diabetes. While 17.9 million people have been diagnosed there are approximately 5.6 million people still undiagnosed. More than ever this disease is affecting minorities and children. Hispanic/Latino Americans are 1.8 times more likely to have diabetes while 1.6 times more African Americans are likely to have diabetes.
For more information check out this website:

2 comments:

Cindy F. said...

Thanks for sharing this Milly. My dad (passed 3 years now) had diabetes for years. It is a serious problem that so many ignore. Glad you're not one of them:)

Edna Melo said...

Olá milly! Hi ! My name is Edna . I am Brazilian . I live in Belo Horizonte With my husband and 3 songs. I don't speak English But I want make friends. I love cross stitch! visit me! Bye.