Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bittersweet Memories


I can't believe it's been 12 years since my Dad passed away. As the years have gone by the pain of losing him as lessened but the memories of him are still with me. Sometimes when I least expect it a saying, a picture, or a song will bring him to mind and I either laugh or have a good cry. But his favorite hymn brings me comfort so I wanted to share it with you today.

Why should I feel discouraged
Why should the shadows come
Why should my heart feel lonely
And long for heaven and home

When Jesus is my portion
A constant friend is he
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know he watches over me

9 comments:

Sherry said...

I know the hurt will always be there. I lost my mom years ago, too. Take comfort in your memories.

That is my favorite hymn too! Sampler Girl has a wonderful chart with this that is on my "to get" list!

Anonymous said...

I know it hurts and it's bittersweet. Hang on to all the wonderful memories. What a nice tribute you made for him. ((HUGS))

J's Place said...

I know the feeling all to well Milly... April was 13 years for me losing my dad. I know hes better off but I still miss him.

Hugs
Jaunice

Unknown said...

I understand how you feel Milly. My grandpa passed away today Aug 1st 7 years back in my arms.
Take rest in knowing your father is looking over you from above.
Lovely finishes...congrats.
HDYGG and SS is coming along nicely...
Fatema.

Shari said...

what special memories Milly... glad you can remember your dad in special ways. Dads are so important to us girls!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Milly your Daddy is looking down from heaven with a big smile on his face for you. BIG HUGS to you my friend.

Irene said...

Aren't memories wonderful. It's what keeps us going.

Suzann said...

A lovely tribute to your father. I still have both of my parents, but I know in my heart that this is not going to last forever, so I am trying desperately to treasure every moment. I know that someday it will be the memories that bring me through the tough times. I often think of the loved ones I have lost and how much I miss them, but I will always have the memories of them in my life. Sending big hugs and much love to you.

Betty said...

Oh Milly, I so understand how you've been feeling! I hadn't remembered that you lost your Dad the same year I lost my 1st DH, Jim. The pain is gone, but indeed, the memories will live on forever in your mind and heart.